13 April 2008

Your dogma wants steak

One of the dynamics that I have noticed in our peculiar society is that Church lessons no matter the setting tend to follow a similar / familiar pattern. The same topics are addressed in the same way. The same questions are asked, with an approved list of acceptable answers. * If anything written this far has offended you there is a disclaimer at the bottom. * I should note that us Mormons do not have a lock on this dynamic as I initially noticed it in my youth in a Sunday school class at my Grandfather’s non-denominational church. One of the things that continually gets me in trouble is that I think too much. I think things to death. I have a need to understand “why?” It is not enough for me to know the answers; I have to know how to apply them.

An example from my youth.
Q. What is the greatest gift of God?
A. Grace.

What does that mean? How does knowing the correct response foster faith sufficient to change a life for good? I know it is by divine design that we progress line upon line progressing in knowledge and wisdom. Living the Gospel, in my, potentially erroneous opinion should not be easy. A parrot can fulfill the measure of its creation by vocalizing a conditioned response to conditional stimulus, I think more is possible / expected of us.*

We are admonished to feast upon the words of Christ. Feast is a big word. I have found in my life times, unfortunately recently applies, where I am a Gospel snacker. Just popping in the Heavenly kitchen and grabbing some spiritual fruit snacks or maybe a gospel granola bar and then traipsing off on my way.

That’s not right. That’s not feasting. What is feasting? A feast is anticipated. There is an amazing amount of preparation that goes into a feast, both individually and collectively. Specialties that are not common fare are lovingly prepared. A feast isn’t a feast without being surrounded by friends and family. You want to share the best you have with your loved ones. You can’t do it right alone. The food wouldn’t taste as good. The laughter, wait what laughter. I have the best story, oh wait, there is no one to hear it. Who is going to help me clean all this up?

In my mind every time Saints gather together a feast upon the words of Christ is possible. Too often it feels like we get together and maybe one person has prepared a spiritual dish and every one else has words: Turkey, lasagna, salad, pie, mashed taters… wonderful words that invoke memories of nourishment past, but are hollow representations of the actual spiritual vittles. How much more is possible, how better spiritually nourished could we all be if we all came prepared to share the best we have to offer. In my previous example the question was asked, what is the greatest gift of God? How much more worth to the souls of God’s children would it be to discuss grace. I know this example is from a different denomination, work with me here.

What is grace?

Simple answer it is the realization of the work and glory of God(s); to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man. How was that done? Short answer; The Atonement. Why was that necessary? Because of the Fall of man. Why did man fall? Because Adam and Eve partook of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. Why? That man might be. So where were we then? In the pre-existence, without bodies, without a probationary state in which we could choose if we would do all that the Father commands. Why would that be necessary? Turns out there is a rather elegant plan enacted to give us intelligences every experience and opportunity to progress to be like the Father. Why? Because he is our Father in Heaven and we are his children. I am weak. I am not a wonderful person by any stretch of imagination, but even I love my sons and I am doing everything I know how to do to raise them to be strong, righteous men.
Heavenly Father is omnipotent, he is honorable, and he is the perfect man, the perfect father. He wants what is best for his children. He knows the most efficient means to raise us to be strong, like him.

So I will let you decide.

What is the greatest gift of God?

Grace.
God is our Father. We are his children. He has lovingly and established a means for us to grow, to learn, to stand on our own feet. He has provided a perfect older brother to make sure if we want to we can return home. He has provided friends and family to teach us. He has provided us opportunities to succeed and fail. He even trusts us to help. He wants us to succeed, be happy, be a family. He has given us every thing we need. Susan W. Tanner, Young Women general president makes a beautiful point “If young women know of God's love for them, it will influence and shape all of their thoughts, feelings, and actions. They will understand they have a mission to perform in this life. They will have confidence in their ability to make responsible, righteous decisions.” I think that can be applied to everyone.



* I in no way mean to disparage any of the lessons or faithful service from countless instructors that volunteer their time to teach the Gospel. I am in no way attempting to pass judgment or condescension upon anyone. I am only attempting to describe a phenomenon as an engine of discussion. If I have in any way offended anyone in the slightest measure if humbly offer my sincere apology. **

** I will have this disclaimer reviewed by the many options of legal counsel available to me in the Ward. If any portion, or all of this disclaimer is found to be incomplete or lacking in anyway I reserve the right to change and modify the aforementioned disclaimer in whole or in part. ***

*** If you are not laughing now, maybe you should not be here. ****

**** Wait, wait, wati, of course you are welcome to stay and please in no way feel that you are not wanted here. Welcome friend. *****

***** If you are still offended… “Lighten up Francis!” ******

****** Consider this an opportunity to grow in your life and religion, you just might thank me later.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can honestly say I truly enjoyed this one. Especially the part about the feasting on the words of Christ. Oh, and the disclaimer. I hope you don't copywrite it as I may need to steal portions if they ever ask me to speak in church.