08 April 2008

The sunrise will always dispell the darkness

Anybody who has spent any time at all talking with me about life knows that I have a deep seated surety in the black and white nature of eternity and by transference the actions people do in this life. As you can imagine this has created a fertile field of conflict with me trying to fit in and stumble my way through life. My dearest friend has labored forty or so years in trying to get me to view the world with a less polarizing lens. A colleague at work has repeatedly tried to instill in me the mantra “it’s not black, it’s not white, it’s just life.” I have been so sure my outlook was the more perfect of the “two” options I may have missed countless opportunities for learning and growth. Due to lessons consequent to humbling mortal experiences, I have recently had to concede to the fact that I am not yet supremely all knowing, and maybe my perspective may be flawed. I can credit much, if not all, of the tumult of my life to this dichotomous outlook.

The Scriptures are terribly clear on mans’ fate where the Law is concerned, one example comes from 2 Nephi 2: 5. And men are instructed sufficiently that they know good from evil. And the law is given unto men. And by the law no flesh is justified; or, by the law men are cut off. Yea, by the temporal law they were cut off; and also, by the spiritual law they perish from that which is good, and become miserable forever. I think it is often the case that people get caught up on the apparent hopeless nature of that passage, I know it is for me. It is hard to get my mind all the way around the Atonement enough to fully trust it. I could fill pages with Scripture references on a way and mean to overcome that hopelessness, but I think I will only mention one or two that speak to how mercy answers the ends of the law 2 Nephi 9 :10. O how great the goodness of our God, who prepareth a way for our escape from the grasp of this awful monster; yea, that monster, death and hell, which I call the death of the body, and also the death of the spirit. So there is a way, but how is it done? Alma 12:33-34 answers how. But God did call on men, in the name of his Son, (this being the plan of redemption which was laid) saying: If ye will repent, and harden not your hearts, then will I have mercy upon you, through mine Only Begotten Son; Therefore, whosoever repenteth, and hardeneth not his heart, he shall have claim on mercy through mine Only Begotten Son, unto a remission of his sins; and these shall enter into my rest.

As such no mortal (other than Christ) can be right all of the time, or possibly expect others to. (Romans 3: 23) For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

I don’t think it is coincidence that the answer to the black and white question is found in Christ’s Atonement. We are counseled to learn and grow. As we learn we gain understanding , knowledge and perspective but only a very few have been given a complete knowledge of the mysteries of God, at some point you reach the end of your abilities and have to reach out and rely on Heavenly Father.

After we have progressed line upon line gaining wisdom and stature with God and man, until we have proven ourselves worthy to obtain all that the father hath, then and only then can we see clearly to act upon and judge correctly and wisely concerning right action in others. Until such time we should not unrighteously judge our, or others actions. We should strive to be filled with a broken heart and a contrite spirit with our hearts always pouring out to our Father in Heaven in prayer: that we might be able to live our lives by faith and not rely on our own understanding, that our hearts and minds will be ever mindful of our weakness, continually repenting and ever trusting in the infinite nature of Christ’s Atonement. That we be baptized and willfully covenant to submit to living the law of the Lord. Be committed to the obligations accepted by us even if that means we do not have every blessing of the Gospel realized in mortality. That we might obtain and live worthy of the Gift of the Holy Ghost that we might be comforted and know how the Lord would have us succor those within our stewardship and influence.

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter if we are right or wrong because in mortality an argument can be made for both not matter what you do. Joseph Smith Jun. was promised his name would be held for good and evil among the world. He was only one man, how can there be so many differing conclusions to the accomplishments of his life. The same will most likely be true with each and every one of us. Our actions will be judged good or bad and that is as it should be, and honestly we shouldn’t give a damn what people think good or bad. It is most important to be committed and actively engaged in the Gospel plan, and the only opinions that really matter there are those of Heavenly Father and Christ.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found this question on the internet and it adds further complication to your black and white theroy:

"Many paradoxes in law arise because law is black & white and real life is a contiuum of grey. Law takes continuous variables and sets a threshold or boundary. Either side of the boundary is 1 or 0, ie. right or wrong. Is this for convenience because we have no better way or is there a deeper reason? If it is a matter of convenience, can we someday use technology to evaluate all the main variables and produce contiuum based laws? Could we trust machines? Would it be fairer than binary laws? "

Sometimes we try to compartmentalize things to much. The lesson in sunday school talked about the "straight and narrow path" spoken of so often in relation to our life journey. I can't imagine that my straight and narrow path is the same as any other person, but I do believe that they all end at the same destination. My path may not be surrounded by the same evil that surrounds any other person. But if we stay on our seperate paths, the destination would be the same.

Black, white, grey...who care's? No, I don't think there could be any binary code to determine truth or error in real life situations. No, I don't trust machines. When we start to think of everything in absolutes we begin to lose focus on the plan of our Father. Faith, hope, repentance, obedience, love and charity. Focus on those and forget which category they fit in or whether they can fit into some rational binary, mathematical, or legal code.