23 April 2008

Nothing is better than unhealthy

It has been quite a week. Kaleb and Gregg, thank you for both offering great talks on Sunday. As it turns out both of your talks were a primer for emotional growth opportunities that have presented themselves to me this week. In this post I will be using these two fine brothers’ words with my ponderings and thoughts interjected as I will. If anything in here is profound it is probably from Gregg or Kaleb!

Gregg asked a couple questions that are, in my opinion, essential to a persons eternal growth and happiness. “Do you know who you are?” What makes me the person I am today? I make no apology for my faith Christ or for by belief in the truthfulness of the Plan of Salvation. Do I bring respect and honor to myself, my family, my Priesthood? An honest reflection and not being afraid or complacent in performing a self-inventory of the qualities of my personality that lead me towards or away from a life of respect and honor is essential. I am reminded of a favorite passage from a wonderful book, Le Petit Prince. “On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye). There are so many distractions in life. I often find it hard to see exactly where I am and where I am going because life is relative to me, or I am relative to life around me. It is the classic physics example of relative motion. A guy on a glass walled train traveling moving at a high rate of speed drops a ball. To his perspective the ball falls straight down. To a stationary observer standing outside the train the path of the dropped ball is curved. My point is this, how can I, being the guy on the train, accurately describe either my motion (the status of my life) or the dropped balls motion (how I affect the lives of the people around me.)

As Gregg reminded me, we have been given The Gift of the Holy Ghost. Are we using it? How do we use it? How do we know when we feel it? The Holy Ghost is described as being a still small voice. It is up to us to make time for quiet reflection to be able to hear this still small voice. When we do this we will be filled with a desire to be better people and do more good. We will find strength to act on promptings received. We will work to build up the Kingdom of God on the earth.

Toward the end of Gregg’s talk I was impressed with the fact the Gregg found a moment of peace and quiet reflection in which he petitioned his Father in Heaven for help in preparing and presenting his talk. He then got to work and studied, put down his ideas, and organized his thoughts. It was in so doing that the Holy Ghost was able to work in Gregg’s life. Heavenly Father isn’t going to magically make life easy and give anyone a free ride. Gregg provided the motive force; he was anxiously engaged in a good cause. The Holy Ghost was able to prompt and make minor course changes in Gregg’s thoughts leading him to what would be of the most benefit for him and the Fort Apache ward.

Thank you Gregg!

Kaleb’s talk was on forgiveness. I was actually quiet amazed at how complimentary Kaleb’s talk was to Gregg’s. “We are better than we think we are.” So if we have some idea of who we are, guess what, we are better than that or have the potential to become such.

I am drawn back to my previous train, guy, ball, and observer example. Sometimes we are the guy (act / acted upon), sometimes we are the ball (acted upon). The train (course of life / ACT) is never fully under our control, it speeds up, slows down turns left or right. If we are observant maybe we can see changes in the train’s trajectory and plan for them. We can talk to the observer (Heavenly Father) outside the train to find out where we are really going and how to best position ourselves in the train to get the most out of the trip. Sometimes it happens that the ball is not gently dropped to the floor for the sole purpose to demonstrate a principle of physics, but is thrown roughly at the wall, or another passenger on the train. Maybe someone else throws a ball and hits us, maybe that ball hits someone we love. Maybe someone we love takes our treasured precious ball and treats it meanly. Point is mortal life is filled with a near endless supply of opportunity to be misused and to misuse others. As much as people think that bad things shouldn’t happen to good people, it’s just the cost of riding the train.

So what do you do when you are hit square in the head by someone else’s ball? Do you throw yours back at in retaliation. If you can’t find your ball do you grab someone else’s? Or do you take the uncommon option. Do you not retaliate? Do you forgive? “He that does not forgive has the greater sin!” Why is that? Well Kaleb offered an answer. “Hatred festers the soul; it makes it impossible to feel the spirit.” So if we are all bowed up angry with someone we lose contact with our Father in Heaven and we are left to our own devices… with a blindfold on. President Anderson then offered a story in which he was seriously offended by the actions of another. To his credit he followed the counsel of the scriptures and “prayed for them that despitefully use you.” By his own admission his prayers were initially insincere and done just because of his faith in the truthfulness of the scriptures. Over time a wonderful thing happened. A change came over Kaleb’s heart, not longer did he hate this individual, no longer was his heart filled with malice, but rather he was filled with fervent desire for this person’s well being.

Forgiveness may be one of the most difficult aspects of charity to acquire in this life. It may not be easy, but it is worth it!

Thank you Kaleb!

All of this reminded me of a passage from Sun Tzu’s The Art of War.
“The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable.” (Sun Tzu)

We cannot ensure an unassailable position by ourselves in this life. We can only humble ourselves and have faith in Christ and his plan. We have to decide who we are and who we want to become. We have to reach heavenward, and we have to stretch out our arms to those around us. We are all on this train together. We all started from different places but we can all share in the same blessings of the Gospel both in this life and those to come.

On changing a life:
You can’t go from reverse to forward with out passing through neutral. You can’t go from unhealthy to healthy with out being neither in between. It is only scary going into neutral until you realize you can’t move forward with out that necessary step.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is my favorite part of this passage and I think you know why "So if we are all bowed up angry with someone..."